Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homework for last week

These are the small thumbnails I made.



I used colored pencils and pestel to draw this picture on a Japanese page. The inspiration comes from Edgar Degas who is one of the founders of Impressionism. I tried to use black, orange, yellow and purple to draw different value and make the negative space.




I used chalk and colored pencils for this drawing.

What I am most satisfied with is the following picture, which is drew by pigments.



The painting below is Degas's work which inspires me a lot.




His work is very powerful and impressive, I like the way he did for his painting, and it seems he used painting knife, that is what I may try to do next time.



1 comment:

  1. Yi, the Impressionists were obsessed with Japanese woodcuts...have you looked at these as well?
    Have you considered WHY you like Degas?
    I would make TWO suggestions: His COMPOSITIONS are wonderfully WHOLE! Try to think of the whole rectangle you work in as important, not just the edge of the page.
    AND his works MOVE...one shape into another. So, first make small fast thumbnails of his compositions (DO 20) and find what he is commonly doing? For example: do the shapes (negative and positive) INTERLOCK? ( to test this, do INK sketches of his compositions where you use PURE black shapes to do the light areas, then do the same for the dark areas...compare these studies to your work. Do you notice anything that you do that is similar??? If not, then try to do what he does, FEEL what he does.
    ALSO, I have to teach you to ANALYZE a composition. To be able to SEE it you have to understand it! ASK ME THIS WEEK!!!!
    Be well Tom

    ReplyDelete