Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Material explorations

Well, as known... I love pencil. I feel that I can keep control throughout the whole drawing with it, creating very thin lines or big shapes; shading or just filling blocks.
I know that graffiti pencil is gray, so the "black" will never be real black.
So, I started trying other medias.
In this draft below I have charcoal pencil on the left and graffiti on the right (my experience is, the black of charcoal is beautiful, but the media itself is not that smooth to work with, which annoys me).
Since I was working on a paper with texture, the charcoal drawing feels harder than the graffiti one. Please let me know which you like best?


This is exploration for Luiza's hair, which is fire.
At first I had this irregular shapes, now I'm considering working with lines, which I believe to bring more movement to it.
1. graffiti pencil
2. graffiti pencil
3. charcoal pencil
4. charcoal pencil + woodless color pencils
5. woodless color pencils

1 comment:

  1. I hate charcoal so much that I'm willing to put up with blacks not being real black. Pencil is much cleaner. I can see your roughness point. I think the graffiti pencil is the better one, looks much more fluid, curves "curvy". I can see you're struggling with medium's roughness in the other one. Also you can up constrast in a split second in photoshop after scanning, the physical media doesn't have to be the final result anymore.

    There's also the minimalist aspect of course, does anyone really need anything more than a 2b pencil a soft eraser and a moleskine? It seems that all the colored pencils, charcoal and all kinds of pastels are awesome, but kind of .. unnecessary. I don't know, maybe I'm just not inclined towards that, maybe I'm not good enough to actually draw something that can't be drawn with a 2b pen, but there's that. But hey, there are few things in life that feel as sentimentally fulfilling as making marks with a pencil on a plain black notebook, isn't it so gloriously simple? There's a stick of carbon covered in wood and there's this another piece of wood you draw on, and anything you can or can't make with it is totally your problem, there are no "augmenters" or enchancers or cover-up liquids in case of a screw-up. I just can't get that physical, honest, material connection with all the fancy and poisonous looking vivid gouache / oil colours in bottles. That's probably not even remotely connected to what you were asking, but I felt like ranting. anyway, see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete